Linux and amiga floppy images
Kolbjørn Barmen
2008-10-13 02:20:29 UTC
Hello!

I had a strange observation a few weeks ago that I intended to check with
you guys, but then forgot all about. :P

I was restoring some old amiga systems, and in that process needed to get
software onto floppies. I have a catweasel and can write out so called ADF
files (amiga floppy images) to floppies just fine with it (excellent
hardware). The problem I had was creating ADFs on linux, I assumes I could
just loopback-mount them with affs and just write files to them, but no -
I always ended up getting I/O-error, and the kernel put the filesystem
write-protected.

Deleting files seems to work ok, but once you try to write a file, the
filesystem chokes, becomes write-protected and the resulting file is a
0-byte entry.

But I didnt give up there, I tried on different systems... much to my
amusement it worked fine on my linux/m68k systems - amigas, macs and
aranym alike! OK, I thought, maybe endianness, so I tried on my ppc ibook
running linux - same failures as on the PCs. So - something is done very
correct on m68k in regard to affs, that isnt done correct on other archs.
Anyone know what that might be?

(All systems I tried with were running 2.6.2x, ubuntu, debian, gentoo)

Cheers!

-- kolla
Andreas Schwab
2008-10-13 10:05:58 UTC
Post by Kolbjørn Barmen
Anyone know what that might be?
If it's not the endianess then the other possible failure mode is
alignment: on m68k all types are at most aligned at a 2 byte boundary.
The structures in <linux/amigaffs.h> don't have any obvious alignment
problems, though.

Andreas.

--=20
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, ***@suse.de
SuSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstra=DFe 5, 90409 N=FCrnberg, Germany
PGP key fingerprint =3D 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756 01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4=
ED5
the body of a message to ***@vger.kernel.org